Saturday, September 18, 2010

Wale's "More About Nothing" Mixtape

The song "The Perfect Plan" on Wale's "Mixtape About Nothing" is crazy. I love it. Wale recently tried to re-live past glory by releasing "More About Nothing". The sequel doesn't boast any songs as good as "The Perfect Plan". I used to think Wale was great but now when I hear his music I think about Eminem saying "try to outrap me with that happy shit." He's starting to sound like the corniest parts of Andre 3000 and Kanye West. His major label album was weak (how many guests?), though the song about the hoity-toity bulimic girl who does coke became one of Marissa's all-time jams. I'll give Wale to her.

Maybe the critical praise Wale got for the original "Mixtape About Nothing" went to his head and now he's more ambitious, attempting to record his own version of "The Love Below" by Andre 3000. Noooooooooo!!! "The Love Below" signaled the end of Outkast and I never want to be reminded of it again. Big Boi's "Speakerboxxx" on the other hand is a masterpiece. Wale ought to copy that one.

"The Motivation" is my favorite song on "Mixtape About Nothing", but it's kind of a guilty pleasure. I don't feel right blasting it in the car. It sounds like that "happy shit", even if the lyrical content isn't so happy. The lyrics are Wale at his best - angry. He should stick to angry preachy songs and stay away from slam poetry recitals for the ladies. "The Motivation" features Dre from Cool & Dre in some capacity. I'm guessing he made the beat. He couldn't be listed as a collaborator just for saying some stuff at the beginning, could he? Cool & Dre produced The Game's excellent "Hate it or Love it", one of the only good Game songs (sorry).



The next track is a slam poetry recital for the ladies and I hate it...



I miss "The Perfect Plan"...

No comments:

Post a Comment